Kenneth George Collins was born in Pietermaritzburg on 2nd May 1904. He was the son of Harry Collins who emigrated from the UK in 1894. His grandfather being a ship builder in Wisbech Cambridgeshire. He was educated at Alskeith at Lidgetton and at Michaelhouse. He was the youngest of five sons and ended up joining his father in the building industry and established the firm presently known as H Collins & Son (Pty) Ltd. He was a carpenter by trade following in the footsteps basically of his father and grandfather. He was a perfectionist in his work being extremely practical and was an expert in the field of buildings and homes. The company was involved with many homes in the Scottsville area these being developed by their property company known as Rutland Estates (Pty) Ltd. He was well respected in the building industry. Ken Collins was a rather shy and conservative man.
|With this thinking in mind and his concern for others, Ken Collins established the Ken Collins Charity Trust amongst other things to assist needy elderly persons to receive financial assistance.
During Ken Collins' lifetime his wife Winsome was a trustee of the Trust.
On his death Winsome Edith Collins became Chairlady of the Trust.
Winsome Edith Collins was born in Pietermaritzburg on the 5th November 1909. She was the daughter of Arthur and Edith Russell and was one of five daughters. She did her schooling at Longmarket Street Girls School and Epworth in Pietermaritzburg.
During her lifetime she was involved with several charitable institutions the most notable being her work as Secretary for St Dunstans the blind organisation and during World War 2 was extremely busy for all those years attending to and entertaining the blind some of whom are still alive and have many fascinating stories of her to tell.
During this period she also housed Italian prisoners of war and employed them in various different roles at Edgehill. The prisoners actually lived on the premises.
During her lifetime she was an enthusiastic gardener and spent many happy hours in her garden at Edgehill.
She remained chairlady of the Trust until her death on 2 February 1999.
P.O. Box 1293, Hilton, 3245